2003 Station Nightclub Fire
A February 2003 club show by ’80s rock band Great White turned into a stampede when illegal pyrotechnics ignited sound insulation foam on the ceiling of the Station Club in Rhode Island. The fire raced through the club in five minutes, and the crowd (which was over capacity) surged toward the front door. The stampede, fire, and smoke inhalation killed 100 people and injured 260 more. A series of arrests and lawsuits followed, with the club owners and band manager going to prison. In all, over $175 million was paid out.